Saturday, July 14, 2012

Painting together


I would have to say my creativity began with my own mom. I remember as a little girl watching her paint. She did quite a few oil paintings, most of which have been given away, silly mother. I found out later that this was a hobby she didn't really get into until she was married with little kids. Well then, why can't I do the same? I'm not as good as she is, and I'm slightly afraid of the "mess" that I imagine oil paints would make. So far I stick with nice, water-based acrylics. 
 Mom and Dad in 1980 admiring her winter scene
Later she did quite a bit of toll painting. She always let us have a little wooden shape of some sort to paint, though the style seems to be a thing of the past. She has always been a sewer. She made her own wedding dress (she regretted the stress it caused - I borrowed mine), she made most of her outfits in her high school and college years. Since those days she uses her machine for mending and occasionally piecing a quilt. 


Her main creative outlets now-a-days are card making and wood carving. I have yet to dapple in those genres, but I truly feel that my creative bug came from her constant projects. I'm not blaming her, I am actually very grateful for the confidence and excitement I feel in learning and creating new things. 


I am truly my mother's daughter. This last week my boys and I painted these temples. I've been wanting to display these sacred buildings for a while, and why would I buy a print or take a picture when I might be able to paint it?


I prepared the board canvas by roughly drawing the temple and then covering it with masking tape. I had to cut it thin in some places so it would match the drawing, then I chose three or four colors for the boys to choose from to paint with. Sparky, true to form, splatted the paint on and ran off, while Buglet on the other hand took his time.
It's important to pull off the tape before the paint dries.
Then the dried sky and the white section of the temples were taped and colors were given for the ground. I managed to snap a pic of Sparky before he ran off this time.
Meanwhile I worked on my painting. This is phase one of many. It is still unfinished, but I've kept to my rule of not putting away a project until it is done,
 so it shouldn't be long now. 
The finished products.
 I added the details and put them in inexpensive, unfinished frames I happened to have.
 Now they are hanging in their room. Buglet painted the Rexburg Temple,
 and Sparky painted the Boise Temple.
I am painting the Idaho Falls Temple and can't wait until I get it done!



6 comments:

  1. Oh my word, you are amazing! I'm already loving this blog! Such fun ideas. You're one of those mothers I'm in awe at, wondering how you do anything else besides being mom. I can't seem to get beyond housecleaning and cooking, diaper changing and playdough playing. Maybe this blog will start inspiring me. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those pictures are amazing!! Cute blog, I'll be excited to follow :) You are such a fun and creative person, I'm glad to be able to call you my friend!
    Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're my friend too Elisa :-) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at you, talented girl! I didn't know you painted! How fun! And I'm so glad you started a blog. I'm kind of obsessed with blogging myself... If you want to see my family blog it's roundyhouse.blogspot.com, and from there you can link to my book review blog. :D Anyway, I love this project and am so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Crow - I love your blog! Look at you cultivating even more talents as the years go by - you go girl! Very impressed with the cute dinner, your dad looks a lot like Jaxson in that 80s picture (that painting your mom did is ama-za-za-zing!)and your painting and knitting ventures are inspiring. Can I be like you when I grow up?! :) Looking forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete