I'd like to make a case for knitting in general - it's Productive! I can sit in front of the TV or in bed before I really get sleepy and knit. Depending on the project, I can either knit away and let my mind wander, or I can be completely involved in an intricate pattern. It's almost like reading a book in that it takes me away to a quieter place; it's as relaxing as a good long bath with the benefit of having something to show for myself besides pruny hands and feet.
Nine years ago I learned how to knit. The washcloth on the left is my first full project. Looks pretty good after nine years of use, don't you think? I should say that this isn't the very first washcloth I knitted. My teacher (and my missionary companion at the time) knitted a third of a washcloth and then handed it over to me to learn on. It was VERY obvious where I had started in the final product, but by the end of it my stitches were more even and I knew I could make one all by myself
About two years ago I realized that it was silly to just have one washcloth that I really liked, so I made a bunch more, the two green ones on the right show a couple of the different patterns I played with. They still work great, though the original green is a bit faded, but I wanted some that were a little smaller.
So I made a bunch more. White this time, so the fading wouldn't be noticeable, and an inch and a half smaller - 81/2 inches square instead of 10. The benefits? I got more washcloths out of one cone of Peaches N'Cream cotton yarn and they fit my hands better especially as they stretch a little when wet.
Of course I don't need 30 washcloths. This project was jumpstarted by another project - a baby shower for my sister-in-law! These white clothes were the "diaper" favors for her diaper-themed shower. They were way more fun to make knowing I had a cuter object in mind for many of them.
| "Diaper and wipes" baby shower favor |

No comments:
Post a Comment