I've had fancy cakes on my mind for the past couple of days and thought I would share a few of the cakes that I've made. But then I realized that very few of them had blog-worthy pictures taken of them. I LOVE the look of a cutely decorated cake, but I really don't like actually eating cake, so I usually make these for other people :-). A few years ago I expressed interest in cake decorating, and my sweet Israel got me some great tools from a local craft store.
Tools I have and use every time I decorate are:
1. Pans. Obviously the correct size and shape of your pans is important (mine are circular) but please save yourself some sanity and purchase TWO of every size that you want. Seriously.
2. A set of frosting tips with bags. I really like the disposable bags, but my non-disposable bag is great too, it just stays the color of the last frosting I put in it. I have fun playing with the different tips.
3. Spatula. Not a pancake spatula or a rubber spatula, but the spatulas that look like gigantic butter knives. Mine is off-set but I'd like to try a straight one at some point. The long, smooth "blade" of the spatula spreads and smooths the frosting.
4. A good "how-to" book on decorating cakes, including recipes and techniques. While I use the internet all the time for new tricks and techniques - it's really nice to have my book out and open right there. Wedding Cakes You Can Make by Dede Wilson is my current reference.
No comments:
Post a Comment